(A List of the anti-Loons of 2010.)
That time where we recount and reflect upon the events and happenings of the past year is upon us. A review of 2011 is due in short order, but before we post that piece we will consider the anti-Loons of the year. This time around it would only be fair to allow loonwatchers to vote for the Anti-Loon of the Year. As we can’t create a poll, we present those we found deserving of such a consideration.
It goes without saying that we feature and cite many of Glenn Greenwald’s articles. His research is almost always exhaustive and thorough. The facts he uncovers are intertwined with phenomenal analysis that very often exposes the hypocrisy of the US government, attacks on the rule of law, double standards in media and much more.
- US Teenager Tortured in Kuwait and Barred Re-Entry into the US
- Glenn Greenwald: “Primitive Muslims Unique Love of Violence”
- The True Definition of Terrorist
- The DOJ’s Escalating Criminalization of Speech
- Glenn Greenwald: The Very Scary Iranian “Terror Plot”
A perennial Anti-Loon, Stephen Colbert has joined his creative prowess with biting political satire that is only challenged by his arch-nemesis Jon Stewart. Colbert lent his enormous talents quite a few times in brutally exposing the stupidity of Islamophobia.
We freakin’ love Jon Stewart! We have his image on the side of our website linking to his page on Comedy Central. He is an inspiration, and what he has done to combat Islamophobia in this country is, in my opinion, equal to the efforts of a Glenn Greenwald.
- Daily Show Takes on Peter King’s Terrorist Connections
- Jon Stewart Ruthlessly Ridicules Political Missteps of Tim Pawlenty and Herman Cain
- Daily Show with Jon Stewart: In the Name of the Fodder
Wajahat Ali has made an extraordinary contribution towards, on the one hand, “humanizing Muslims” and “Islam” through the arts, and on the other hand factually taking apart the funding of the Islamophobia apparatus in this country. His contribution to the Center for American Progress report entitled Fear, Inc. was one of the biggest stories of the year. For this, co-authors Matt Duss and Eli Clifton deserve an honorable mention as well.
- Wajahat Ali: My Awkward Moments in Muslim Prayer
- Wajahat Ali: Understanding Sharia’ Lawhttp://www.loonwatch.com
- Wajahat Ali: How Turkey Came to Our Thanksgiving Table
Sheila Musaji has for a long time been taking anti-Muslim bigotry and Islamophobia to task through her website The American Muslim. She has been a premiere defender of justice, equality and freedom, and for her strong stance she draws the ire and scorn of the hatemongers. Keep up the indispensable and valuable work Sheila!
- TAM: Cucumber “Fatwa” Seems to Be Only Shoddy Reporting
- 17,000 “Islamic Terrorist Attacks” Exist in Fevered Islamophobic Brains
Sherrif Lee Baca has been a consistent defender of religious freedom and pluralism. He is someone who actually interacts with Muslims and has taken the effort to understand Islam. In his amazing testimony in front of Congress during the Peter King McCarthyesque hearings he displayed his intricate knowledge of not only Islam but the smears leveled at Muslim leaders and organizations. He provided curt, substantial, factual and logical replies to leading anti-Muslim questions that too often are not rebutted in the mainstream.
- Baca Tangles with Another Republican Congressman Over Muslim Americans
- Rep. Cravaack Got Schooled by Lee Baca
- In Muslim Community Lee Baca Wins Support Through Conversation, Not Confrontation
Ahmed Rehab is a consistent and seemingly tireless voice for rationality and harmony in our society today. He is one of a handful of Muslims who manages to receive airtime to annihilate any and all Islamophobes he encounters in debate; various Fox News interviews attest to that reality. His participation in the Arab Spring highlights the diversity of his activism. Recently, his article on the “Radical Right” threat to America garnered much attention and is a necessary corrective to the exaggerated focus on conspiracies of “Islamization” and “terrorism.” A point we have been making on this site for quite some time now.
- Ahmed Rehab: A Silver Lining in Egypt’s Dark Cloud
- Ahmed Rehab: The Denial of Islamophobia
- Let’s Face It: The Radical Right, Not Islam is the Greatest Threat to the “American Way”
Reza Aslan is one of our favorite scholars. When he is not demolishing Islamophobes in debate he is traveling the country speaking at various venues about Islam, the Muslim world and its interactions with the West. He is also a powerful voice for peace and his exclusive interview with Loonwatch was one of the highlights of the year for us:
Sarah Posner is one of the foremost writers on religion in America today. Her articles are carried widely across the country in many different venues. Her skill at in-depth analysis of religious trends makes her an important voice when she turns her attention to anti-Muslim and Islamophobic bigotry.
- On Gaffney: Radio Show Rep.King Suggests Muslims Aren’t American
- Sarah Posner: Religious War Comes to CPAC
- The Islamophobia Dodge of the Religious Freedom Pledge
Haroon Mughal is a great writer, with tremendous insight and piercing analysis. He went into the lion’s den when he attended a radical Christian gathering in Detroit that was aimed at having Jesus “invade” the dreams of Muslims and turn them into Christians.
- Haroon Mughal: Why Christopher Hitchens Writes About Things He Doesn’t Understand: Tunisia, Islam, and Sources
- Haroon Moghul On Why the Egyptian Revolution is Not Islamist
- Jesus Carpet Bomb My Heart: An Undercover Muslim in Detroit
Richard Silverstein is an ally and a friend of Loonwatch. His work detailing the hate amongst extremist Zionists in Israel and their American counterparts has been significant and vital. He is a promoter of peace and is continuing the Jihad of Tikun Olam, “repairing the world.”
- Richard Silverstein on Israeli Settler MK Nissim Zeev and Mike Huckabee
- Richard Silverstein: David Yerushalmi, Jew as White Supremacist
Cenk Uygur is another perennial favorite of ours on Loonwatch. His show, the Young Turks provides us with much material in exposing the fallacies of right-wing loons:
- The Young Turks Breakdown Netanyahu’s Appearance in US Congresst
- Young Turks: Michael Moore vs. Elisabeth Hasselbeck on Osama Bin Laden
Aasif Mandvi is a special reporter for the Daily Show and one of the shining lights of Muslim comedy in the America today.
- Aasif Mandvi: Batman’s Muslim Sidekick Nightrunner
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Terror Free All American Muslim
Russel Simmons has been out in front fighting bigotry against all people especially Muslims. He was a prominent voice supporting Park51 and recently bought all the Ad space for the All American Muslim reality show.
- March 6: Russel Simmons to Lead “I am a Muslim Too” Rally
- Russel Simmons for the Wing: Buys Up Ad Space for All American Muslim
The Peter King hearings while bringing forth the ugly populism that lies at the heart of much of our politics also highlighted some courageous and forthright politicians who were willing to take a stand against demagoguery and hatred.
Rep. Keith Ellison’s testimony at the Peter King hearings was heart wrenching. Ellison did a good job over the past year of humanizing Muslims and being a progressive voice for justice and equality in the nation.
- Rep. Keith Ellison’s Historic Testimony During House Hearings
- Bill Maher and Keith Ellison Spar Over The Quran and Islam
A friend and ally of the site, Lesley Hazleton is an erudite scholar with a tremendous sense of humor.
This by far has not been an exhaustive list. Please add any names you think are important to see here and we will update the piece. Below are some more individuals deserving of anti-Loon consideration (*not in any particular order):
*Update: Bob Pitt of Islamophobia-Watch, Muhammed Malik, Amy Goodman of Democracy Now, Chris Christie, Charles Johnson of LGF, Faiz Shakir, Mikey Weinstein, William Coley, Tariq Jahan.
- Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin Promotes Call for Palestinian Genocide
- Inside Torat Hamelech, the Jewish Extremist Terror Tract Endorsed by State-employed Rabbis
- FBI Teaches Agents: ‘Mainstream’ Muslims Are ‘Violent, Radical’
- Attorney General: FBI Hurt Terror Fight With ‘Violent Muslim’ Training
Kenny Irwin Jr.
- Conan’s Ultra Christmas Decorations with Muslim’s Help
- Anti-Muslim Coloring Book Gets Microwaved and Turned Into Art
- Upset Over Nothing: Salon.com Debunks Latest Sharia’ Scare
- Salon: Jews and Muslims United for Sharia
- Neo-con Flak: Weiner May Have Converted to Islam
- Salon.com Arabic for Right-wingers
- Alex Pareene Takes the WaPo On Faith Blog to Task
- Salon.com: Fox, Why Does Obama Hate Easter and Love Ramadan
- Muslim Immigrant Seeks Stay of Execution for His Attacker: A Convicted anti-Muslim Murderer
- Hey, Wait He is a Muslim: Rais Bhuiyan Tries to Save his Shooter from Execution
Two Young Chechens:
Prof Risa A. Brooks: