The uptick in attempted bombings in Northern Ireland is causing concern that there will be a return to heightened sectarian conflict.
Another bomb has been discovered, this time in the grounds of a Presbyterian Church in North Belfast. (H/T: JD)
Can one imagine if Muslims had been behind this? It would be all over international media, and you can bet the anti-Islam haters would lump it in as one more attempted “Islamic terrorist” attack, but they would never call it “Christian terrorism”:
A suspect object discovered at a church in north Belfast has been declared a viable device, police have confirmed.
The pipe bomb was found in the grounds of the Ballysillan Presbyterian Church on the Crumlin Road area on Wednesday morning.
Evacuated residents have been allowed to return to their homes and the road has re-opened to traffic.
Chief Inspector Andrew Freeburn, North Belfast Area Commander, said the device was capable of causing injury or death to anyone in the vicinity.
“The people who carried this out have shown a callous disregard for everyone in our community, not least those local residents who have been inconvenienced through being evacuated.
“This incident will be fully investigated with view to bringing criminal charges against those responsible.”
SDLP Oldpark Councillor Nichola Mallon said the object was discovered during the cutting of grass on the grounds of the church.
She continued: “The people of North Belfast have seriously suffered through the years as a result of the brutality of the Troubles. They don’t want or need to live under the renewed threat and fear of disruption and attack as they have been increasingly forced to do in recent days.”