An Islamic boarding school was set alight by ‘intruders’ in a suspected arson attack, just days after an Islamic centre was burnt to the ground in London.
About 130 children and staff were evacuated from Darul Uloom, a Muslim madrassa or religious school, in Chislehurst, Kent, just before midnight on Saturday.
School principal Mustafa Musa said today the fire was started in the teaching area and damaged about 10 per cent of the building.
Two boys had to be treated for smoke inhalation and police said they are treating the blaze as suspicious.
Mr Musa said they are ‘deeply saddened’ by the attack and called for calm.
He said: ‘We are part of the British community and are deeply saddened by the events that have taken place.
‘We urge the community to stay firm and united and bring the people responsible to justice.
‘The community at large have to come together for a safe and peaceful life in Britain.’
The school principal thanked the emergency services and ‘well-wishers’ who have offered help.
He added: ‘The parents should rest assured that the students are safe and have been well looked after.
‘The academic department of the school was set alight just before midnight by intruders.
‘Initially the staff extinguished the fire and evacuated the students to safety.
‘The fire and ambulance services responded rapidly and ensured no one was seriously injured.
‘Two boys suffered smoke inhalation injuries but thank God they are recovering.’
Police are treating a fire at an Islamic school as suspected arson just days after an Islamic centre was burnt to the ground in London.
A shop was also targeted by arsonists Liverpool in what is being treated as a hate crime.:
Police in Liverpool are treating an arson attack at a shop in Anfield as a hate crime.
Officers were called to Robinson News on Priory Road last night.
It was after two men, with their faces covered entered, the shop and verbably abused the shopkeeper.
They then threw what’s thought to be an accelerant into the premises.
The 48 year old shopkeeper received serious injuries to his hands and arms trying to put out the blaze.
A resident from the flat above managed to escape unhurt.