By Jai Singh
Regular readers will be aware that the United Kingdom’s Home Secretary has banned the American anti-Muslim propagandists Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller from entering the UK (details here, here, here, here, and here). Spencer and Geller had intended to speak at the English Defence League’s demonstration in London on 29 June 2013.
Approximately a dozen senior EDL figures, including EDL leader Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka “Tommy Robinson”), resigned from the EDL in October 2013. Yaxley-Lennon is now working closely with Maajid Nawaz and Quilliam, although there are still major questions about the situation, and Spencer and Geller’s own public reactions have been erratic; further details here, here, here, and here.
Quilliam’s own press release about the resignation claims that they “hope to continue supporting Tommy and Kevin in their journey to counter Islamism and neo-Nazi extremism”.
After last week’s high-profile BBC documentary ”When Tommy met Mo”, Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller have now publicly re-endorsed Stephen Yaxley-Lennon. Furthermore, they have also revealed Yaxley-Lennon’s real game plan regarding Quilliam (I’ve highlighted this in bold below).
A few weeks ago we issued a statement expressing our disenchantment with Tommy Robinson’s new course. We…..were extremely suspicious of his association with the pseudo-moderate and extremely disingenuous Quilliam Foundation.
However, events have been unfolding rapidly. Tommy Robinson has written to us emphasizing that he has not changed his positions, and the unfolding events have borne that out. The documentary When Tommy Met Mo shows that Tommy was not fooled by the smooth deceptiveness of the dishonest Islamic supremacist Mo Ansar, and in numerous interviews Tommy has acquitted himself admirably,…..
His association with the Quilliam Foundation was and is problematic. The Quilliam Foundation’s anti-Israel stance and its unjustified attacks on counter-jihadists such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Geert Wilders abundantly establish that it is not what it claims to be. But we understand that Tommy has been under enormous pressure. It is impossible to hold him accountable for Quilliam’s disingenuousness when he has not repeated it himself. Tommy is planning to start a new organization that is as free from Quilliam as it is from the EDL, and in that, and in his ongoing efforts to defend the British freedom and the vision of human rights that Judeo-Christian civilization has given to the world, we wholeheartedly and unhesitatingly support him.
Former Muslim human rights activist and SION Board member Dr. Ali Sina exposes the lies behind Qulliam and Ansar’s charade.
Geller’s version of the article also includes the full statement from the currently-unidentified individual using the online alias “Ali Sina”. Relevant extracts targeting Quilliam and Maajid Nawaz in particular:
…..What about Maajid Nawaaz? He had no problem saying some of the teachings of the Quran are morally reprehensible. This is quite a statement for a Muslim. Is he sincere? Maajid is the chairman of Quilliam Foundation, a self-styled organization that claims to counter Islamic extremism.
He was a recruiter of Hizbul Tahrir, a terrorist organization, and an advocate for Islamic caliphate for 13 years. He says that he was reformed while serving a five years jail sentence in Egypt for his political activities. Now he claims that he rejects extremism and is a moderate Muslim.
…..[Maajid Nawaaz] is taking his deception to a higher level. The deception has paid off handsomely. Instead of serving time in jail Maajid now shakes hands of George W. Bush and Tony Blair, is a chairman of a respectable foundation, and has run for MP in UK. He is far more effective in destroy the western civilization from within, through taqiyah than by placing bombs in buildings and busses.
Could I be mistaken? Have I come to a hasty decision? I invite Maajid Nawaaz to show my error and prove to the world that he is not deceiving them. Maybe I too will join his Quilliam organization and support his efforts. If he is sincere, he will accept this invitation. But based on my experience with “moderate Muslims,” I have a feeling that Maajid’s reply will be a deafening silence.
There is no such thing as moderate Islam. This is the ultimate taqiyah. Falling into this trap is deadly. It may cost your liberty and your life. Moderate Islam is an oxymoron. It is as attainable as perfumed dung; although I may be wrong about the latter.
Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller’s statement raises the following questions:
1. What is Maajid Nawaz & Quilliam’s response ?
2. Do Maajid Nawaz & Quilliam still plan to continue working with Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, considering (a) Yaxley-Lennon’s continuing alliance with foreign extremists banned from entering the UK, (b) the fact that Yaxley-Lennon has repeatedly declared that he has not changed any of his anti-Muslim views, (c) the fact that Yaxley-Lennon has no intention of working with Quilliam for the long-term, (d) the fact that Yaxley-Lennon is simply using Quilliam as a “stepping-stone” to a new anti-Muslim organisation, devoid of the stigma of the EDL and allied to the aforementioned banned foreign extremists ?
3. The BBC are currently involving Stephen Yaxley-Lennon in at least two more documentaries: One focusing on Quilliam, and one focusing specifically on Yaxley-Lennon (titled “What Tommy Does Next”). Considering the facts detailed above, will the BBC now terminate their involvement with Yaxley-Lennon, or do they intend to continue these projects with him ? If it is the latter, will the BBC disclose the aforementioned facts to the British viewing public, especially Yaxley-Lennon’s continuing alliance with foreign extremists banned from the UK ?
It would be constructive to receive some clarification from Maajid Nawaz, Quilliam and the BBC. In the meantime, for their benefit and for the public record, it is worth reiterating the following relevant facts about Robert Spencer’s inner circle (including “Ali Sina”) and Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.
ROBERT SPENCER’S INNER CIRCLE
1. Robert Spencer is the author of the virulently anti-Muslim website “JihadWatch”; he is also co-head of the “Stop Islamization of Nations”, “Stop Islamization of America”, and “American Freedom Defence Initiative” organisations. Spencer’s pivotal role in the multimillion-dollar international anti-Muslim propaganda network has been heavily documented. An extensive and fully-referenced list of examples of Spencer’s statements (a) demonising the entire Muslim population and (b) demonising the religion of Islam as a whole is available here.
2. Robert Spencer and “JihadWatch” were the most heavily cited sources of propaganda in the terrorist Anders Breivik’s manifesto; in fact, Breivik explicitly stated “About Islam, I recommend essentially everything written by Robert Spencer”.
3. Robert Spencer is formally allied with racist white supremacists and European neo-Nazis, and has even organised joint public demonstrations with them.
4. Robert Spencer is an ordained Catholic deacon (also see here) who has repeatedly made demonstrably false statements about Islam & Muslims (eg: see here, here, here, here, here and here) and repeatedly tried to hide the evidence when his misinformation was exposed. Spencer has publicly admitted that his actions are heavily motivated by his [unilateral] agenda for the dominance of the Catholic Church.
5. Robert Spencer’s actions are in direct violation of official Vatican policy towards Islam and Muslims. Spencer’s actions also directly undermine the extensive Christian-Muslim interfaith bridge-building efforts of his own Catholic sect’s global leadership (see here and here) and indeed the admirable message promoted by Pope Francis himself (see here, here, and here).
6. Robert Spencer is now being publicly supported by Father C.J. McCloskey, a senior priest in the controversial Catholic organisation “Opus Dei” which is notoriously secretive about revealing the identities of its members. McCloskey has been described as “priest to Washington’s conservative establishment” and “the Catholic Church’s K Street lobbyist”. Promoting Spencer’s latest book in an article for the National Catholic Register, McCloskey made a series of extremely bigoted and derogatory statements about Islam and “the Muslims”. His actions are in direct violation of official Vatican policy along with the message promoted by Pope Francis.
7. In 2002-2003, Robert Spencer was an Adjunct Fellow at the Free Congress Foundation, an arm of the Heritage Foundation. Both organisations were founded by Paul Weyrich, a convert to the Melkite Greek Catholic Church, which is the same Catholic sect that Spencer belongs to; Weyrich was ordained as a protodeacon in this sect. The Anti-Defamation League identified the Free Congress Foundation and Weyrich himself as closely affiliated with “Dominionism”; furthermore, the ADL identified the FCF and Weyrich as part of an alliance of more than 50 of the most prominent conservative Christian leaders and organizations that threaten the separation of church and state in the US. The FCF’s strategic plan, whose authorship was guided by Weyrich and which was published in 2001, has been described as calling “for the use of deception, misinformation and divisiveness to allow conservative evangelical Christian Republicans to gain and keep control of seats of power in the government of the United States.” (Note: Dominionism is an extreme interpretation of Christian fundamentalism deriving from “Christian Reconstructionism”, which involves the belief that rule by non-Christians anywhere in the world is sacrilege, explicitly approves of the historical slavery of African-Americans, and openly advocates the replacement of American law with Old Testament injunctions including the death penalty for apostasy and homosexuality; Dominionism also claims that its adherents have a God-given mandate to infiltrate the highest echelons of power and subsequently impose their beliefs on the entire world).
8. Furthermore, Robert Spencer is on record as stating “Paul Weyrich taught me a great deal, by word and by example, about how to deal both personally and professionally with the slanders and smears that are a daily aspect of this work”. Spencer also named Weyrich as a mentor of his writings on Islam. Spencer’s first book on Islam was published in 2002. Weyrich himself is on record as making the following extremely anti-Semitic statements on his website shortly before Easter in 2001, in which he directly blamed “the Jews” for the death of Jesus: “Christ was crucified by the Jews…..He was not what the Jews had expected so they considered Him a threat. Thus He was put to death.” During the subsequent outrage (particularly from Jewish organisations) at Weyrich’s statements, he was defended by David Horowitz, Spencer’s boss. (Extensive further details on David Horowitz here).
9. Robert Spencer has been proven to have made completely false statements about historical Popes and major Jewish figures, and to have subsequently tried to conceal the evidence when his actions were exposed. Full details here and here.
10. Robert Spencer is not actually a “scholar of Islam” in any credible sense of the term; he has precisely zero academic, professional or linguistic qualifications in this subject, and therefore cannot credibly be described as a “scholar” or an “expert” in the matter at all. In fact, Spencer’s own alma mater, the University of North Carolina, have publicly described Spencer’s writings as “perpetuating a type of bigotry similar to anti-Semitism and racial prejudice. They are to be viewed with great suspicion by anyone who wishes to find reliable and scholarly information on the subject of Islam.” Full details here.
11. Robert Spencer’s anti-Muslim propaganda has been proven to be identical to the anti-Semitic propaganda of Julius Streicher, a Third Reich-era Nazi whom the US subsequently prosecuted at the Nuremberg Trials and convicted on the charge of crimes against humanity; even Spencer’s arguments in his own defence are identical to Streicher’s statements at the time.
12. Robert Spencer is on record as claiming that there is “no distinction in the American Muslim community between peaceful Muslims and jihadists”.
13. Robert Spencer is on record as denying the Srebrenica genocide, explicitly describing it as “the-genocide-that-never-was” and proposing “the possibility that Muslims could have carried out any deceptive atrocity-manufacturing in the Balkans”. (Also see here).
14. Robert Spencer is on record as repeatedly promoting the work and writings of Serge Trifkovic (also see here), the former spokesman for Radovan Karadzic, one of Serbian war criminals charged with genocide during the ethnic cleansing of Muslims in Bosnia; Spencer and Trifkovic have even held joint interviews and collaborated on an anti-Islam documentary film. Trifkovic is on record as making the following extremely anti-Semitic statements: “Since the late 1800’s the Jews have had a disproportionate impact on a host of intellectual trends and political movements which have fundamentally altered the civilization of Europe and its overseas offspring in a manner deeply detrimental to the family, nation, culture, racial solidarity, social coherence, tradition, morality and faith.”
15. Furthermore, Serge Trifkovic openly supports and defends Ratko Mladic, whom the United Nations Tribunal has indicted on 16 counts of genocide and war crimes. In 2003, Trifkovic appeared as a defence witness during the trial of Milomir Stakic at the Hague Tribunal; Stakic was subsequently found guilty of multiple counts of murder along with crimes against humanity such as extermination, persecutions and deportations. In 2008, Trifkovic appeared as a defence witness during the trial of Ljubisa Beara, who was subsequently convicted of genocide, extermination, murder and persecution. Trifkovic was also cited by Anders Breivik in his manifesto.
16. In 2009, Robert Spencer publicly admitted to having joined a genocidal white nationalist Facebook group titled “Campaign for the Reconquest in Anatolia”, whose mission statement openly advocates the ethnic cleansing, mass sterilisation and euthanasia of Turkey’s entire Muslim population, targeting “up to 150 million people”. Readers can draw their own conclusions about Spencer’s convoluted explanation after his actions were exposed. Full details here. Spencer’s own website has also promoted the aim of “freeing Constantinople from Muslim occupation” (eg: see this article written by Spencer).
17. Robert Spencer has made extremely disparaging statements about the prestigious West Point military institution and has described Far-Right terrorists in the United States as “ordinary Americans who believe in individual rights”. Full details here..
18. When the Washington Post asked Robert Spencer if he was being deliberately combative and provocative, Spencer chuckled and said “Why not ? It’s fun”.
19. According to BBC anchor Nicky Campbell during a “BBC 5Live” radio debate about the EDL on 9 October 2013 (see here), Stephen Yaxley-Lennon had told him that he was “a great admirer of Douglas Murray”, Associate Director of the Henry Jackson Society and contributing editor to the Spectator magazine; according to Campbell, Yaxley-Lennon subsequently claimed that their views were exactly the same. Murray also participated in the radio debate on 5Live, and subsequently wrote a fawning article supporting the “like-minded” Yaxley-Lennon. As extensively documented here, Murray is directly linked to Robert Spencer and has been heavily involved with the Robert Spencer-David Horowitz cabal for a number of years; Murray is also on record as enthusiastically praising Spencer. Kingston University’s Dr Marko Hoare, formerly a senior member of the Henry Jackson Society, writes on his own website: “The HJS is a UK think-tank frequently described as ‘neoconservative’…..It currently serves as a secretariat, at the House of Commons, to the All-Party Parliamentary Groups for Transatlantic and International Security and for Homeland Security.”
1. The Board of Deputies of British Jews recently released a lengthy statement supporting Pamela Geller’s banning from the UK. Full details here. The article includes Geller’s own response to the Board’s statement, including the fact that Geller appears to blame Jews for the Holocaust.
2. Pamela Geller is the author of the virulently anti-Muslim website “Atlas Shrugs”; she is also co-head of the “Stop Islamization of Nations”, “Stop Islamization of America”, and “American Freedom Defence Initiative” organisations. An extensive and fully-referenced list of examples of Geller’s statements (a) demonising the entire Muslim population and (b) demonising the religion of Islam as a whole is available here.
3. Pamela Geller has repeatedly made demonstrably false statements about Islam & Muslims, and repeatedly tried to hide the evidence when her misinformation was exposed.
4. Pamela Geller has repeatedly made false statements about her own actions, despite the fact that her extensive anti-Islam/anti-Muslim writings are a matter of public record.
5. Pamela Geller was repeatedly cited by Anders Breivik in his manifesto.
6. After Breivik’s terrorist attack in Norway, Pamela Geller wrote an article claiming that the victims (predominantly children) were not innocent; she also included a photograph with the caption “Note the faces which are more Middle Eastern or mixed than pure Norwegian”. Full details here.
7. Pamela Geller is formally allied with racist white supremacists and European neo-Nazis; she has even organised joint public demonstrations with them, and then tried to hide the evidence when her allies’ explicitly Nazi sympathies were publicly exposed.
8. Pamela Geller is now on record as publicly advocating what is effectively a “Final Solution” targeting British Muslims, including mass-murder.
9. Pamela Geller is on record as insisting “There are no moderates. There are no extremists. There are only Muslims”.
10. Pamela Geller is on record as denying the Srebrenica genocide, describing it as a “fabricated narrative”, a “lie”, and a “manufactured genocide” that is part of a “classic Islamic modus operandi of self-killing and manipulating media coverage”. Geller is also on record as defending the Serbian war criminal Radovan Karadzic. Extensive details here.
1. David Yerushalmi is Robert Spencer & Pamela Geller’s lawyer. He has been directly involved in supporting the SION/SIOA/AFDI leadership.
2. David Yerushalmi heads an organisation whose mission statement explicitly declares that its [currently unidentified] members are “dedicated to the rejection of democracy” in the United States.
3. David Yerushalmi believes that American women shouldn’t even have the right to vote.
4. David Yerushalmi is on record as claiming that there is a racial hierarchy of intelligence, with black people at the bottom.
5. David Yerushalmi is General Counsel for Frank Gaffney’s Center for Security Policy, an extreme right-wing organisation actively trying to infiltrate & influence US domestic, foreign and (particularly) military policy; the CSP’s financiers include a number of the largest weapons manufacturers in the world.
6. The Center for Security Policy is also the main source of the ridiculous conspiracy theories about “Muslim Brotherhood infiltration” of the Obama Administration.
7. Frank Gaffney himself was recently exposed as having attended networking events organised by David Cole (aka “David Stein”), a high-profile (and unrepentant) Holocaust revisionist. Commenting on Cole’s views on the Holocaust, Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, stated “I’m very disappointed that someone who abused his Jewishness to get his five minutes of notoriety still stands by his lies. It’s disgusting and puts him in the camp of bigotry.”
8. According to the New York Times, Frank Gaffney is David “Yerushalmi’s primary link to a network of former and current government officials, security analysts and grass-roots political organizations” and is also able to tap “a network of Tea Party and Christian groups as well as ACT! for America, which has 170,000 members”.
9. Despite the fact that David Yerushalmi, Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer publicly claim to be staunch supporters of the concept of “freedom of speech” and refer to this concept when justifying their own actions, they keep threatening to sue people who exercise their own freedom of speech against them.
1. “Ali Sina” is currently unidentified.
2. “Ali Sina” is named as a Board member of Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller’s “Stop Islamization of Nations” and “Stop Islamization of America” organisations.
3. “Ali Sina” was cited by Anders Breivik in his manifesto.
4. “Ali Sina” claims to be an “atheist”, but his own writings expose him as a fanatical Christian extremist; he also bizarrely keeps comparing his own experiences to those of Jesus.
5. “Ali Sina” is repeatedly on record as promoting the genocide of Muslims, claiming that Muslims are “diseased”, “infected”, bereft of “every trace of humanity”, “all guilty as sin”, and must be “amputated”.
6. “Ali Sina” is on record as claiming that the Prophet Mohammad was “an instrument of Satan” and that it is a “demonic plot to end humanity”.
7. “Ali Sina” is on record as exhibiting extremely anti-Semitic attitudes, claiming that the Prophet Mohammad “copied his religion from what he learned from the Jews”, “The similarity between Islamic thinking and Judaic thinking is not a coincidence”, “Islam and Judaism have a lot in common…..the main common feature between these two faiths is their intolerance”, “This intolerance in Judaic texts gave the narcissist Muhammad the power to do as he pleased…..How could he get away with that ? The answer lies in Judaism…..The reason Arabs fell into his [Mohammad’s] trap was because of the groundwork laid by the Rabbis in Arabia”.
ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE LEADERSHIP:
1. Ex-EDL leaders Stephen Yaxley-Lennon and Kevin Carroll are still listed as members of the “Stop Islamization of Nations (“SION”) Presidents Council”.
2. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon and Kevin Carroll are therefore still formally allied with racist white supremacists and European neo-Nazis; they have also organised joint public demonstrations with the aforementioned neo-Nazis, in conjunction with Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller (who were also present).
3. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon has been prosecuted and convicted for illegally travelling to the US using a false passport in order to attend an anti-Muslim conference hosted by Robert Spencer, Pamela Geller and David Yerushalmi in New York in September 2012. Full details here, here, here, here, and here.
4. Kevin Carroll is on record as ranting about non-Christians being “pagans” whom he will “never bend or bow to”; Pamela Geller, David Yerushalmi and David Horowitz are of course non-Christians themselves, as are Quilliam’s Maajid Nawaz and Usama Hasan. Kevin Carroll also gave a speech at the aforementioned anti-Muslim conference in New York, a fact that Geller enthusiastically publicised on her own website.
5. Kevin Carroll is on record as labelling all Muslims as “backward savages, a devil-spawned death-cult worshipping all that is barbaric and unholy. Pure evil”.
6. On a personal note, as a Sikh I’d like to mention that the EDL leadership were forcefully condemned in a joint statement by a very long list of British Sikh temples and organisations, including the two largest Sikh temples outside India. The signatories also included the most senior Sikh religious leader outside India; he is (a) closely linked to the global Sikh authorities at the Golden Temple complex in Amritsar, and personally represents the global Sikh community at the Parliament of the World’s Religions, (b) the recipient of an award from England’s Queen Elizabeth II due to his Guru Nanak Nishkam Sewak Jatha organisation’s humanitarian activities, and (c) the recipient of the rare honour of being one of the few non-Catholics whom the Vatican has formally declared a Knight of the Papal Order of St Gregory, due to his exemplary efforts to promote peace between people of all religions.
7. The EDL leadership were also publicly condemned by the Israeli Embassy and more than a dozen major Jewish organisations in the UK, including the Board of Deputies of British Jews, the Jewish Council for Racial Equality, the Community Security Trust, and Jews for Justice for Palestinians. (Also see here.)
8. The EDL’s ex-leadership are on record as repeatedly admitting that their agenda is racially-motivated; Stephen Yaxley-Lennon himself is on record as repeatedly racially abusing black people on Twitter, and he is also on record as repeatedly making public statements clearly demonstrating that he is using the terms “Muslim” and “Islam/Islamic” as codewords for “South Asian”; furthermore, Yaxley-Lennon is on record as publicly accusing “every single Muslim” of collective guilt and simultaneously threatening the entire “Islamic community” with retribution involving “the full force of the English Defence League”. Further details here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. (Also refer to this article.)
9. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is on record as publicly promoting neo-Nazi, anti-Semitic, white supremacist websites and organisations, in one instance citing defamatory material from such websites live on the BBC in front of millions of British viewers, and subsequently promoting the same neo-Nazi website online; further details of such incidents are available here and here. (Also see here and here.)
10. During an EDL demonstration in London in May 2013, a major British news channel photographed multiple EDL members openly doing Nazi salutes in Stephen Yaxley-Lennon’s immediate vicinity; Yaxley-Lennon is the man in the brown army/camouflage jacket surrounded by EDL members.
11. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is on record as giving an interview to the Norwegian media in which he publicly praised Anders Breivik, promoted Breivik’s manifesto, and claimed Breivik’s mass-murdering terrorist attack would have been “easier to justify” if the people killed had been Muslims. Full details here and here.
12. EDL co-founder Richard Price is a convicted criminal on multiple counts of downloading child pornography; at the time, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon first tried to cover this up, and then launched a campaign to try to free Price from prison. Details here and here. The EDL leadership also released an official statement defending Price, written by Yaxley-Lennon (screenshot here).
13. The EDL leadership were deputy leaders of the now-defunct “British Freedom Party”, a white supremacist Far-Right political party in the UK whose extremely discriminatory religious policies targeted everyone who was not a Christian (including Jews, Hindus and Sikhs) and their respective places of worship. Furthermore, BFP chairman Paul Weston is on record as revealing his real views in an article titled “Ethnically Cleansing the English”, published on the extremely anti-Muslim website Gates of Vienna in March 2010; Weston’s article is openly racist. The article also repeatedly implies that non-white people are automatically “Muslim”, whom Weston proceeds to stereotype and demonise in the worst terms. (Also see here). Weston was present alongside Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, Kevin Carroll, Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller when they hosted a demonstration in Europe which they had organised in conjunction with European neo-Nazis.
14. An extensive list of the criminal records of EDL members is available here, including details of the criminal convictions of the EDL leadership themselves (especially Stephen Yaxley-Lennon). Members of the EDL have been prosecuted and convicted for murder, arson, assault, human trafficking, child abuse, and child pornography.
15. Following his resignation from the EDL, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is now on record as telling the BBC “I am not ashamed, no, I am proud I started [the EDL]”. Yaxley-Lennon also confirmed that his views have “not changed” since quitting the EDL. He made these statements during an interview on the high-profile “Daily Politics” programme, speaking to anchor Jo Coburn.
16. Robert Spencer is on record as claiming that “the EDL deserves the support of all free people”.
17. The EDL’s allies and apologists have claimed that it is a “working class” organisation; Robert Spencer is even on record as recently describing the EDL as “made up of people from a lower social class” and claiming that opposition to the EDL is therefore based on “class” issues. Douglas Murray is on record as previously commending some aspects of the EDL, stating “If you’re ever going to have a grassroots response for non-Muslims to Islamism, that would be how you’d want it, surely.” However, a Sunday Times investigation exposed some very revealing facts about several of the EDL leadership’s wealthy British backers, particularly Alan Ayling (aka “Alan Lake”) and Ann Marchini. Furthermore, despite Stephen Yaxley-Lennon’s efforts to portray himself as “working class”, along with his claims that he “has no money”, during a televised BBC debate in June 2013 Yaxley publicly admitted that one of his businesses turns over £300,000/year (video footage here; see 22m onwards); on 1 July 2013, Yaxley also admitted online that he actually “owns 7 properties which are all rented out”, with “taxable income”.
18. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon publicly claims that he does not eat halal food due to concerns about “animal rights”. He reiterated his alleged opposition to halal food during the recent BBC documentary, and was filmed repeatedly refusing to eat with Muslims participating in the documentary. However, Yaxley-Lennon subsequently bragged on Twitter about eating chicken at a popular restaurant where all the meat is actually halal. In fact, Yaxley-Lennon has been openly eating halal food for several years; for example, see the evidence in the “Updated” section at the end this article from September 2011.