Some good news.
Nigerian troops rescued 178 people from Boko Haram in attacks that destroyed several of the group’s camps in the northeast of the country, an army statement said late Sunday.
Spokesman Col. Tukur Gusau said in an emailed statement that Nigerian troops freed 101 children, 67 women and 10 men.
The Nigerian Air Force reported killing “a large number” of Boko Haram fighters while repelling an attack on a village 30 miles southwest of the army operations that took place around Bama.
Sunday’s statements did not specify when the attacks occurred.
A multi-national joint taskforce made of 8,700 troops from Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger, Chad and Benin is being set up in the Chadian capital N’Djamena to tackle Boko Haram.
The force was supposed to start operations on July 31 but has been dogged by a lack of funding and political will.
Last week the Nigerian army said rescued 71 kidnapped people.
Hundreds have been freed from Boko Haram captivity this year but none of the 219 girls abducted in April 2014 from a school in Chibok were among those rescued.