Top Menu

“I hate Islam more than you do”: Tennessee Candidates

Andrew Miller chairman of the Tennessee Freedom Coalition is funding Lou Ann Zelenik’s campaign against Diane Black. Zelenik also happens to be president of the Tennessee Freedom Coalition.

If you will recall both Miller and Zelenik hosted Geert Wilders at the Cornerstone Church in Nashville where he spewed hateful anti-Muslim/Islam rants to a cheering crowd.

Miller said at the time,

“What is happening in the Muslim community is wrong, and it won’t go on much longer. We will shine the light of truth on them, you will see a change in their leadership, pretty soon, I am pretty sure, and they know who we are. I don’t care.”

In a case of worse vs. worst, Black and Zelenik are trying to out do themselves in how much they hate “Islam.”:

“I hate Islam more than you do”: Tennessee candidates

Freshman Republican Representative Diane Black is challenged by Lou Ann Zelenik, who lost to Black in a primary to represent the rural district two years ago by less than 300 votes.

The heart of the struggle is over the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro, about 30 miles (48 km) south of Nashville, which has been controversial since construction began two years ago.

Zelenik, who vigorously opposed the mosque and warned of potential terrorist connections, said Black was not forceful enough in her opposition.

“I will work to stop the Is lamination of our society, and do everything possible to prevent Sharia law from circumventing our laws and our Constitution,” Zelenik said.

Some states dominated by Republicans have passed laws to prevent Islamic or Sharia law from applying in US court cases.

The United States legal system is founded in the US Constitution.

Black did oppose the mosque in statements issued in 2010.

She said communities have a right to be vigilant in ensuring that Islamic institutions in this country do not aid the “jihadist viewpoint.”

“The mosque was rushed through the local process, and people were mad about it … This isn’t about religion, this is about people staying vigilant,” Black said.

A judge ruled last month that the mosque could be occupied by its congregation in time for the fasting month of Ramadan if it passed an inspection. But the inspection showed that some additional work needed to be done before it could be used.

The argument is not even over a mosque in their own congressional district because the redrawing of election maps after the 2010 census put the facility in another district.

But a wealthy conservative donor, Nashville health care investor Andrew Miller, has weighed in on the side of Zelenik, contributing $105100 to a new group called Citizens 4 Ethics in Government, according to the latest reports the group had submitted to the Federal Election Commission as of July 20.

The group has spent nearly $188000 on media and automated telephone calls with the goal to unseat Black.

Miller is also chairman and executive director of the Tennessee Freedom Coalition, a conservative non-profit which lists as the top issue on its website: “Educate citizens on the realities of Sharia and stop the growth of Radical Islam.”

Repeated attempts made by Reuters to contact Miller for comment were unsuccessful. Zelenik’s campaign also did not return numerous phone calls requesting comment.

“No one is more opposed to Sharia law, radical Islam and terrorism than Diane Black, but unlike her opponent, Diane Black respects our Constitution,” her campaign spokeswoman Jennifer Coxe-Baker said.

Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington-based Muslim Civil Rights and advocacy group, says people like Zelenik “live in their own bubble of anti-Islam hate.”

“All you can do is rely on the goodwill and the tolerance of the members of the rest of society who don’t hold these extremist, bizarre views and trust in the common sense of the American people and the people of Tennessee,” he said.

The race is one of several Tennessee congressional primaries on Thursday to determine party nominees for the election in November.

, , , , , , , , , ,

  • DrM

    Charlie sommers :

    “The majority of them came to America to escape Sharia Law, not to try to get it accepted here.”

    Rubbish, your imaginary Muslim friends don’t count. How do you know they weren’t doing “taqiya”? Nobody comes here to “escape” Sharia law, which doesn’t exist in the majority of Muslim “nations” i.e. corrupt secular western client banana republics like.
    Same reason Anglo-American terrorists are in multiple countries killing people, backing and installing dictators, not for “liberation” but stealing resources. Who wouldn’t want to live in such lovely occupied “nations.”

  • Charlie Sommers

    The Islamic population of the USA is less than 1%, they have little chance of convincing the other 99% of the country to switch to Sharia Law. I knew many Muslims before I retired and talked to them quite openly on a variety of subjects. The majority of them came to America to escape Sharia Law, not to try to get it accepted here.

    Black and Zelenik are playing on the ignorance of the general population and showing their true colors in the process. They are both worthless.

  • Franczeska

    That sign to the left side of her in the photo is in reference to the synapses in her brain.

  • Syed Khader

    What a shame about these ignorant people who do not know what they are talking about, if they believe in Judaism and Christianity how can they Islam, Islam consist of all these religions if you hate Islam, you hate Abraham, Moses, and Jesus peace be upon all of them. If you are ignorant of this nobody can help ignorant people.
    Syed A. Khader, Atlanta, GA.

  • Common Sense

    @mindy1

    It’s Tennessee, what do you expect?

  • Common Sense

    @mindy1

    It’s Tennessee what do you expect.

  • Pamela

    I’m dumber, no i’m dumber, a race to see who can be the ignorant leader of the free world.

  • mindy1

    All that’s going on in our country and THIS is what they focus on?!?!?!?!

Powered by Loon Watchers